Tuesday 9 February 2010

How To Install Custom Content

There are so many tutorials out there that aim to teach you how to install custom content, but still people are confused about exactly how it works. A lot of guides tend to over complicate things in my opinion, and all the technical lingo makes it hard to understand.
Hopefully this simple step-by-step tutorial will aid you in finally getting glorious CC into your game.


1. For starters you will have to download WinZip or WinRar. I downloaded WinRar from here; I get all my downloads from the Computer Active website because I know it's safe and easy to use.

WinRar is free software that will try and get you to buy it after a limited period. Howevers, you don't have to pay for it, and it will only prompt you to do so if you open up the programme. When I first got WinRar the first thing I did was start it up, and that was enough to put me off downloading CC right there and then. All the file names and things are confusing, but luckily you don't actually have to use WinRar that way to install CC. Phew.

A lot of people would also recommend downloading the Helper Monkey from Mod The Sims, but personally I found it was easier to install CC the manual way.


2. Go to My Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Program Files> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3 and create a folder called Mods. Inside that folder create another folder called Packages.


3. Next, head over to a custom content website of your choice to find something to download. For your first try I'd recommend PeggyZone.
Find a hairstyle or whatev that you want to download- I chose this one because NO ONE ELSE EVER WILL. Seriously, it's disgusting...


4. Click on the download button. If the browser you're using is Firefox, like moi, this little box will appear. Select Save File and click Ok- the file will be downloaded to My Documents> Downloads.

If you're using Internet Explorer the box will be only slightly different. Again select Save, and this time choose a destination for your file to download to.


5. Once the file has finished downloading, right click on it and select Extract Here. Don't open WinRar as it'll scare you... Just right click, extract here, simples.


6. Once WinRar has finished extracting the file it'll spit out a bunch of things. You can ignore the JPEG Image and the Read Me file if you like.


7. Take the Resource file and place it in My Computer>Local Disc (C:)> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3. Every time you download something from Peggy it will give you a new Resource file, but you only have to place it as instructed the one time.


8. Next, take the Package file and place it in My Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Program Files> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3> Mods> Packages. I should say that if you don't have the Helper Monkey installed then your file will have a different icon to the one shown here.

As I said before the Helper Monkey confused me when first installing CC, but you do need it to install Mods. We'll come to that another time though.

And that's it really- when you go into your game your new CC hair should be there.
When you start off you can just place all the Package files in the Packages folder, but as time goes on you may wish to create subfolders for all your different types of custom content.

And, if you're hyper-organised like me you can create seperate subfolders for all the different items with pictures and everyfink. As long as all the subfolders are inside the Packages folder then it should all work fine.

Also, if you download custom content from places like LianaSims, instead of Package files you'll get Sims3Pack files. You can either double click on the file which will open up the launcher and you can install it that way, but if you have several files to install at once this isn't very practical. Instead, take all the files and place them in My Documents>Electronic Arts> The Sims 3> Downloads. After that, just open up the launcher and you'll find the files all there in the Downloads section, where you can just Select All and Install.


And that concludes this loverly tutorial. If you follow the steps exactly I can't see what could possibly go wrong, but you never know...

I should say that sometimes, for seemingly no reason whatsoever, certain items of CC just wont appear in my game. It happens.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, otherwise- buhbye!

Group hug x

51 comments:

  1. it may be harder but thats allway howiv done it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fury, this is dolphinz. You're my last hope. I'm trying this right now with all nine...oops, ten, of my fingers crossed. Here's to hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, fury! Thanks for the great tutorial! One thing though...When I "extract here" There is no "resource" File. There is a "resource.cfg" File that pops up. Do you have a solution?

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that resource.cfg file is the one I meant :p

    Just place that where directed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks the same as the one in the picture I'm assuming, just with a slightly different name?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The resource.cfg file is actually blank. D:

    And I tried to download three hairs, and the first on is the only one that spit out the resource.cfg file.

    Thanks again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yeah, well my resource file is different cause I have the Helper Monkey installed. Its icon is like a blank square that looks like a little window with icons in it right?

    But anyways, that should be the right thing.

    Only Peggy hairs give you the resource file, other websites don't : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. how do you do it with winzip mine takes me through winzip than i try to put it in the game luncher comes up but nothing happeneds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip on sims3packs. I have to close my launcher to install those. You just made my life loads easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I mean..except Peggyzone?I can´t(not allowed to) donate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (on 18.2.10 20:23)
    where can I download the aerryn amethyst hairstyle???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the help FuryRed!

    Much appreciated, this really helped (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aerryn's hairstyle is from PeggyZone, but you can get it from Sims Cave or Paysites Must Be Destroyed for free :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Than you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you THHHHHHHAAAAAAANNNNKKKK YYYOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grrrr, didn't work. Damn game!

    ReplyDelete
  16. gahh! my laptop hates mee :O there isnt even an ' extract here ' thingy :B

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you DEFINTLY need monkey for just hairs. I am trying to download this http://www.peggyzone.com/Sims3Detail.html?id=000184&sortId=01
    with no success. What shall I do? I have windows vista... And downloaded what you said to download. I haven't got monkey... I have internet explorer... PLEASE HELP ME!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. okaii, i got the helper monkey - do you need to do anything differentt ? :/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay... about that hairstyle, It looks like she's got shit on her sholders!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I finally figured it out!! *hugs Furyred then does a happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried but when i did it it said i didnt have helper monkey (which i do) then it said i didnt have winrar (which i do!!)
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPPPP!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i still cant figure i out! eerrrggg i feel retarded

    ReplyDelete
  24. THANKYOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMUCH! THIS HELPS ME OUT A TON!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK YOU VERY MUCH BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TOP DO THIS FOR MONTHS :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, this has helped me a ton!!!! Thank you sooooooo much! I linked to this post on my blog,
    http://thesims3challengesyouwanttotry.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-download-custom-content.html
    If you want the link taken down just comment and I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. If we don't have Helper Monkey installed, then how would the .package file look like? Mine looks like the Adobe logo(http://www.dsnonline.co.uk/uploads/images/adobe_logo.gif), and the Resource.cfg's icon is just a white document. The hair I got won't show up in my game.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It ddidnt work :(

    I think it was something i did though, I figured I would screw it up

    Do I need to install win.rar?

    And I just copied the PACKAGE and reasource into the sims 3 folder, is that right?

    If not, how do I do it

    ReplyDelete
  29. why doesnt peggy work for mac?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whenever I try it says access denied.PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I need help I want CC and my laptop won't let me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE I beg you. and when I finally get it to allow it says no archives found. :*( please help me :**(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey, i NEED your help cause there isent any button for me to extract it from.. like, it has a small white epice of paper with a sims 3 logo in the middle, and when i double click it, it goes stright to the launcher.. but that doesnt put it in ma game.. HELP PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  32. ^^^^ That's suppose to happen. : / I had the same problem. Install monkey, it's better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i tryed installing the monkey.. it did the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  34. This did not help at all. This wasted 2 hours of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  35. MATZ- Oh. Are you sure you download it in C:\Users\nxdsmlwx\Documents\Downloads and when you downloaded it, you saved it. Not opened it?
    Bytheway, nxdsmlwx is whatever your user name is.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Um...What if Wnrar doesn't extract the files.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Winrar does extract files.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank Yooh!!!! I finally have some decent hair in my game!!! <3 <3 <3 :D !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ohhhhh. I've been fucking spending my time in the exchange crossing my fingers ._. Thank you. I am your mumero uno fan I get excited about your every post!
    Luvs ur work

    ReplyDelete
  40. thanks, Ive tried this before but I did it wrong. I used to count on the fucking god damn exchange.
    Crossing my fingers and all that jazz.
    Buh-Bye

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey, I didn't get a resource file and not even a .cfg file. Also, instead of doing what you said, I downloaded my first from XM Sims 3; it was a hairstyle...

    ReplyDelete
  42. She said you have to download your first file from PeggyZone, as they're the only ones who give you the resource file. Other sites won't. : )

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks Livvy!

    I have to discuss another thing I've been wanting to know about: I downloaded a few hairstyles from PeggyZone including a child and toddler version of the aerryn amethyst hairstyle, which just glitched in-game but looked normal in CAS (except for Play With Genetics). Anyone know why that particular hairstyle glitched? If so, explain when you can... thxs! Note: The other hairstyles I downloaded from PeggyZone (or really Sims Cave) are okay, just that one (or two) hairstyle(s) glitched.

    ReplyDelete
  44. where can i download revised harlow mars's hair from?

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's the April 09 Gift from PeggyZone, but you can get it at SimsCave if you look at the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  46. thankers! i luvs ya now!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Glad I could help, pal! We should make an arrangement, ya know, in person.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Actually, it's not in SimsCave. Sorry. But I have found something at Savio's Stuff, you should check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  49. I had an extremely difficult time learning to download...I first looked at this tutoral, and yes, it skipped some important chunks, but I went to mod the sims, installed monkey helper, and I had already installed Winrar earlier, though. I created the files of course, but for a while I just was unsure of the extract part. For people that wonder, go to save, find the mod and then package file. Once package is highlighted in blue, then press save or whatever there is. Then I finally figured you have to enter to your package folder and find your download, and send it to your game by either pressing the green arrow at the top, or making it a folder. Then one time when my cousin was making a family, the hairstyle showed up! Downloading indeed can be a slow, long and boring process...

    ReplyDelete
  50. Gosh, my learning to download process looked simalar to Fury's, especially the hairstyle! Mine was like a big bird nest with a braid around it, it was a random choice.

    ReplyDelete