There are so many tutorials out there that aim to teach you how to install custom content, but still people are confused about exactly how it works. A lot of guides tend to over complicate things in my opinion, and all the technical lingo makes it hard to understand.
Hopefully this simple step-by-step tutorial will aid you in finally getting glorious CC into your game.
1. For starters you will have to download WinZip or WinRar. I downloaded WinRar from here; I get all my downloads from the Computer Active website because I know it's safe and easy to use.
WinRar is free software that will try and get you to buy it after a limited period. Howevers, you don't have to pay for it, and it will only prompt you to do so if you open up the programme. When I first got WinRar the first thing I did was start it up, and that was enough to put me off downloading CC right there and then. All the file names and things are confusing, but luckily you don't actually have to use WinRar that way to install CC. Phew.
A lot of people would also recommend downloading the Helper Monkey from Mod The Sims, but personally I found it was easier to install CC the manual way.
2. Go to My Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Program Files> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3 and create a folder called Mods. Inside that folder create another folder called Packages.
3. Next, head over to a custom content website of your choice to find something to download. For your first try I'd recommend PeggyZone.
Find a hairstyle or whatev that you want to download- I chose this one because NO ONE ELSE EVER WILL. Seriously, it's disgusting...
4. Click on the download button. If the browser you're using is Firefox, like moi, this little box will appear. Select Save File and click Ok- the file will be downloaded to My Documents> Downloads.
If you're using Internet Explorer the box will be only slightly different. Again select Save, and this time choose a destination for your file to download to.
5. Once the file has finished downloading, right click on it and select Extract Here. Don't open WinRar as it'll scare you... Just right click, extract here, simples.
6. Once WinRar has finished extracting the file it'll spit out a bunch of things. You can ignore the JPEG Image and the Read Me file if you like.
7. Take the Resource file and place it in My Computer>Local Disc (C:)> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3. Every time you download something from Peggy it will give you a new Resource file, but you only have to place it as instructed the one time.
8. Next, take the Package file and place it in My Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Program Files> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3> Mods> Packages. I should say that if you don't have the Helper Monkey installed then your file will have a different icon to the one shown here.
As I said before the Helper Monkey confused me when first installing CC, but you do need it to install Mods. We'll come to that another time though.
And that's it really- when you go into your game your new CC hair should be there.
When you start off you can just place all the Package files in the Packages folder, but as time goes on you may wish to create subfolders for all your different types of custom content.
And, if you're hyper-organised like me you can create seperate subfolders for all the different items with pictures and everyfink. As long as all the subfolders are inside the Packages folder then it should all work fine.
Also, if you download custom content from places like LianaSims, instead of Package files you'll get Sims3Pack files. You can either double click on the file which will open up the launcher and you can install it that way, but if you have several files to install at once this isn't very practical. Instead, take all the files and place them in My Documents>Electronic Arts> The Sims 3> Downloads. After that, just open up the launcher and you'll find the files all there in the Downloads section, where you can just Select All and Install.
And that concludes this loverly tutorial. If you follow the steps exactly I can't see what could possibly go wrong, but you never know...
I should say that sometimes, for seemingly no reason whatsoever, certain items of CC just wont appear in my game. It happens.
If you have any questions feel free to ask, otherwise- buhbye!
Group hug x